Monday, March 24, 2008

Blog Posting # 1: Any Questions?

When my students have no questions, I might have to believe they're all going to earn an A on each of their assignments. I know in reality that this is not true. There are likely several, if not many unasked questions. Why don’t they ask more questions?

Is it fear of sarcasm? Well, when the question is, “When is this assignment due?” when there is an entire document with all the due dates, I’m gonna be sarcastic. Any changes to the document are announced and it’s located in a very accessible spot on my 105 web page. Why don’t they print it and keep it in a folder they bring to class? Calendar anyone?

Is it a fear to speak out? Is my classroom uncomfortable for some students still? Is it only my classroom, or is it all classrooms? I’d like to think I’ve created an environment where all students feel comfortable and will contribute to class discussions. Yet we went to the library today and I was more of an observer as Sean Evans led us on a tour of the library and only one or two questions were asked, other than mine.

Is it fear of ridicule from classmates? I hope they’re not afraid of that. And if they are, they can email me, see me after class. I’m available most of the time. Have I made this clear?

Some take obvious advantage of the resources available, and others, I have no clue and I see only the final product.

4 comments:

Tim Pyle said...

Comment #2

Yo dude first off whats up? I wanna take sometime and make sure you are all right. I feel you worry about us to much! Some people talk, some don't, it is a personal choice. It could be worse, we could be just saying what Master Splinter said,"I have always liked...Cowabunga"(Steve Barron, TMNT 1990). This would get us no where and would cause a few grey hairs in your beard. See sometimes words can be bad and an awkward silence can provide meaningful meditation which leads to more enlightened things like Donatello said, "We practiced Ninja" (Michael Pressman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II 1991). So be glad that we are not mutant ninjas because there would be no way of stopping us then. By the way once we have a forth jokester the turtles will be complete but till then you are stuck with the three stooges. That’s all I have to say, so let the class speak when they want to and keep doing a terrific job of teaching!

I made another funny!
Tim

la299 said...

Comment #4

Hey Paul. Well i would just like to say, coming from a VERY shy person, that you have done a terrific job of making most of us comfortable to talk in class. Granted i do not talk as much as others, but i do my best. I have never been one to talk in front of groups becaues it makes me extremely nervous. I know this is going to make the presentation very hard for me.

But that is just me, and i am just very anxious in front of more than 3 people.

You do better than most at making the classroom a comfortable place though. YAY:)

Leslie A.

benny said...

comment # 2

hey paul,
well first of all, don't you dare get rid of the sarcasm, believe me that's not the problem. in fact, i don't think you have anything to worry about; granted we are not always the enthusiastic bunch that i'm sure you would prefer, but you have created an environment open to questions both inside and outside of class. Especially in regards to outside of class, you are very prompt in getting back to me on any questions or concerns i might have. you also make yourself extremely available for help--much more than any other teacher i have had thus far in my collegiate career. so yea keep up the good work.

comment #2

Celia said...

comment 2:
Hey Paul. Let me just say you do a wonderful job at making the class very comfortable. For me, the reason for not asking questions or speaking out is because I am painfully shy and I always have been. It's weird because I have no problem performing in front of an audience for plays and dances, but I cannot for the life of me be the outgoing one in class. I don't know why I just can't and no I can't just imagine I'm on stage. Like Leslie said this presentation is going to be really difficult. Just to reassure you, you are a good teacher and your class is comfortable, however it is just difficult for some to be outgoing.