Monday, April 7, 2008

Blog Posting #3: Arguing about Star Wars and the Artist

So a student emails me and asks, "Just a random question for you. Which Star Wars movies are better, episodes I-III or episodes IV-VI? and why?"

My long-winded response:
s this a test?

The original trilogy. George Lucas wrote the screenplays for the
prequels and they are pretty bad. Oddly enough my girlfriend and I are
currently going through each one. We watched Phantom Menace the other
night and it was pretty unbearable. Maybe a 2 out of 5 stars, but
mostly for special effects. Lucas also directed the prequels, and most
of the actors were not allowed to actually act. A lot of the delivery
of lines is pretty lifeless, making the prequels lack heart. The
original three had different directors and screenwriters, with the
exception of A New Hope. Lucas wrote and directed it, but he was
younger then and it seems many artists lose something with age, some
youthful vigor that allows them to create masterpieces filled energy.
While in their older age, one might think they should be able to
create masterpieces whose success lies/lays not in the energy so much
as the craft. In age, filmmakers, painters, writers, etc. should have
likely learned more about their craft, and where they lack that
certain energy of youth, they make up for it in skill.

Revenge of the Sith is pretty good, but it certainly has its
exceptionally bad parts, such as Padme dying of a broken heart,
Palpatine sounding like Gollum as he transforms, and Vader screaming,
"Nooooo!" No thank you. At least the final battle with Anakin and
Obi-Wan is an emotional one. Lucas' use of pathos there is pretty damn
good, with the music, the actors, the scenery, etc. Though I'm not
sure of that emotional resonance comes more from the previous two
films as opposed to the results of that fight, which are what the
next(previous) three films are about.

Again, if I were 6 years old and watching the prequels versus the
originals, I might have a different point of view. The special effects
in the 70s and 80s are certainly different from the CG of today's
films. It's like comparing apples with oranges, perhaps.

Of course my view is biased by my age. Not that the originals have the
best acting at all times, and dialogue, but then again, a lot of those
films were cutting edge in many ways, whereas these days every other
summer movie has special effects as good as the next film, making the
real thing that matters is the heart or lack thereof.

-Paul

PS: Were you expecting some drawn out answer to this?

5 comments:

la299 said...

Comment #8

Well Paul I do have to say i am more a fan of the original star wars films. While the new ones are fun with all of the new technology and what not. But for some the original is just way more exciting.

That along with other things. I have many memories associated with these movies. It used to be my favorite past time watching them late at night with my dad. Some of my best memories are from these movies!

I love the originals:)

Leslie

Chris said...

COMMENT #5

Well, I would have to say that i enjoy the new Star Wars MUCH more than the old ones. I like movies where shit blows up all the time, and stuff like that, and I'm not really into old movies in general. Sure the new ones have their bad moments but I still think that they are better. Star Wars Episode III is my favorite out of all 6. Sure it has its stupid parts when Darth Vader screams "noooooo" and how Palpatine starts talking all retarded when he changes. But I mean how can you argue with that last light saber fight. It was the ULTIMATE battle, and it was freakin awesome. Haha to think this all started with me and Bob arguing over which ones were better.

Chris

Tim Pyle said...

Comment #6

First off all the Star Wars are over rated! Yes letting all you know I am a hater…but I never liked the Star Wars movies because of how nerdy people responded. Also I have always found the force to be retarded and in the movie using the force to jump car to car was lame. Though like every terrible thing there is always something good…and in the words of that which is good….Badass is Yoda. I most likely made that joke wrong because Star Wars is lame! I am sorry if I offended fans, but it shall take great force to jedi mind trick me about my bias.

Get over it Paul and jump into lame new movies that are solely for entertainment,
Tim

Brandon "McLovin" Field said...

Comment # 6

Well Paul, I do agree with you and think that you're liking the first three better is more due to those movies coming out in a generation where that type of special effects was cutting edge stuff. Now a day, as you said, most movies have bomb ass special effects. Now to be honest, I cou;dn't pick one trilogy over the other becuase I love all 6 movies. However, I do believe that Hayden Christianson or however you spell his name, is one of, if not the worst actor in hollywood. I mean jesus christ dude, get a personality!

-Brandon

Celia said...

Comment #5
I just watched a little marathon of the movies as well (they showed all 6 movies on Spike TV) and I have to agree that I do like the old Star Wars better than the new ones. The new ones are good don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think George Lucas should have written them. There were many parts in the new movies that were very cheesy. The light saber fights were amazing, especially in Revenge of Sith, and the special effects were amazing as well, but they just didn’t have that same feeling as in the old movies. Like you said a lot of the actors weren’t really allowed to show their acting ability. George Lucas had some great actors in his movies, but they weren’t able to show their acting skills and range. I think my love of the old movies also stems from the fact that I grew up watching them. My oldest brother loved Star Wars and would always watch them and as the youngest sibling I looked up to him and wanted to be like him so I would watch them as well. Some of my best memories are from these movies as well.
Celia